You might not realize it, but your skin’s cycle of growth is important when it comes to achieving smoother, brighter skin. Dead skin cells need to be sloughed away so that fresher skin cells can be revealed on the surface of your skin. That’s why regular exfoliation is so important. But microdermabrasion can offer deeper exfoliation with extra benefits to help you clinch gorgeous skin all over.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a fast and pain-free skin treatment that speeds up the rate at which dead skin cells are exfoliated and fresh new skin cells created. Pollutants, dirt and dead skin cells can all accumulate on the skin surface, causing it to look dull, dry or older than it should. Microdermabrasion makes use of a hand-held device that removes this layer of skin so that skin looks instantly healthier.
Microdermabrasion is not to be confused with a skin treatment called dermabrasion.
- Dermabrasion is when a machine using high levels of speed removes the surface layer of your skin with an abrasive brush or wheel.
- Microdermabrasion makes use of tiny diamond studs or crystals that are sprayed all over the skin to remove its outer layer. It then uses a vacuum suction to clear away dead skin cells. Microdermabrasion is much less aggressive and you don’t need numbing medication as in the case of dermabrasion.
You can get microdermabrasion treatments on various parts of your body or choose a microdermabrasion facial for your face. Since the process is not invasive or painful, you don’t risk wounding your skin unlike with other treatments. You definitely can have beauty without pain!
Difference Between Chemical Peels and Microdermabrasion
Microdermabrasion facials are a good alternative to chemical peels. Although chemical peels also exfoliate your skin, sometimes you need greater amounts of exfoliation in certain areas, such as your forehead, chin or around your nose. Since microdermabrasion is done with a hand-held device, it makes it easier for the technician to slough away dead skin cells in those specific areas that need extra attention.
There is also less recovery time with microdermabrasion. While superficial chemical peels allow your skin to heal pretty quickly with the risk of side-effects being redness and peeling, medium peels can cause the skin to take up to a week to recover during which time skin looks burnt. Deeper peel recovery can take even longer, sometimes up to two weeks with skin remaining very red during that time. Microdermabrasion has little to no recovery time and side-effects are slight. You might experience some pinkness and a feeling of tightness, but generally these go away after 24 hours. This is great because you have things to do and people to see, and you won’t have to feign sunburn to cover up nasty side-effects!
Buff Your Way to Better Skin
If you want to get younger skin, microdermabrasion can help by stimulating collagen production which is vital for skin that’s firmer and more elastic. Added to this, by buffing away age spots or discoloration on the surface of your skin, you will look years younger.
Since exfoliating helps to unclog pores, microdermabrasion can also help you if you suffer from acne because any bacteria or sweat will be cleaned away so they can’t cause breakouts.
- 3. Diamonds are Your Eyes’ Best Friend!
You can also treat the delicate skin under your eyes with microdermabrasion. The skin in this area is thinner, often showing skin issues like wrinkles earlier than the rest of your face. If you don’t want a treatment such as Botox or collagen injections in this area as they pose greater risks, microdermabrasion can help to promote greater skin growth so that skin issues are dramatically reduced.
If you’ve already had other skin treatments, such as laser, to decrease the appearance of wrinkles around your eyes, microdermabrasion can be highly beneficial as an extra skin treatment to have. It will work to enhance this prior treatment so that wrinkles are even less defined.
But you should note: diamond microdermabrasion is much safer than crystals for the delicate area around your eyes. Crystal particles can get blown into your eyes so they should be avoided.
- 4. Better Product Absorption
If you don’t exfoliate, your skin creates a layer of dirt and dead skin cells that make it hard for products to penetrate your skin efficiently, which means your skin misses out on important nutrients and benefits. Microdermabrasion enables your skin to absorb skin care products much better by eliminating the dead skin layer. Skin can then get a health boost every time you use your quality products at home.
Top Tips for Treatments
- More is Better! One session of microdermabrasion is great in itself, but opting for regular ones will give you even better smoothing results, especially if you are battling skin issues such as wrinkles or sun spots. Up to 10 microdermabrasion treatments can be required to give you the best results and they usually take between half an hour to an hour. Perfect for your lunch break!
- Go the Professional Route – Always If you are tempted to buy a microdermabrasion kit and do the treatment yourself at home, be warned that these kits do not contain the strength of treatments conducted by technicians. Get your microdermabrasion done by a professional – your skin will thank you!
- It’s Safe For All Skin Types
Anyone can have a microdermabrasion treatment as the machines used can be adjusted according to your skin type. So, even if you have sensitive skin you can still reap the benefits.
Microdermabrasion is a useful skin treatment to have if you want clearer, brighter and exfoliated skin. With no fuss or pain, it’s perfect now that summer’s on the way and you want to flaunt healthy and beautiful skin.